Klamath Falls Airport Reminding Drone Pilots of Safety Rules
Unsafe drone operation can result in fines up to $10,000 in some cases. If you have a drone please make sure you have legal operating authority to fly. You cannot fly within a 5 mile radius of the airport without specific permission from the control tower. They likely will not authorize your flight unless you are an FAA licensed remote pilot and have specific clearance from the FAA to fly in controlled airspace. Even if you have the legal authority to fly in controlled airspace the air traffic control manager can restrict or deny authority to fly in his airspace.
If you are flying your drone for hire or any commercial use, you must have an FAA Remote Pilot Certificate.
From the Klamath Falls Airport:
- Drones (or unmanned aircraft) that weigh between .55lbs and 55lbs must be registered with the FAA (https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/);
- Fly for hobby or recreation ONLY; unless you are licensed for commercial use
- Fly within visual line-of-sight;
- Never fly near other aircraft;
- Notify the air traffic control tower prior to flying within 5 miles of an airport (the Air Traffic Manager can be reached at 541-880-2470);
- Never fly near emergency response efforts.
Click the link below to view the restricted airspace in Klamath Falls.
Article by Klamath Alerts