Be safe and prepared: Snow, ice could trigger power outages throughout Northwest
Check your Emergency Outage Kit, charge up mobile devices, avoid any downed lines, call 1-877-508-5088 to report outages and download app to stay up to date
PORTLAND, Ore. –Arctic weather is sweeping into the Northwest, bringing ice, heavy snow and the threat of power outages. Pacific Power is urging its customers and the public to take precautions to stay safe and comfortable.
The National Weather Service is forecasting extended periods of snow throughout the coming week with temperatures dipping below freezing every evening and snow accumulations of up to a foot at low elevations.
If power interruptions occur, Pacific Power is ready to deploy crews to begin restoration and keep customers informed of these efforts.
New this year, is the ability to report an outage via text messaging. Text OUT to 722797 to report an outage. Text STAT to 722797 to check the status of your outage. You do not need the app to do this. The system matches the phone number you are calling from to the one on file for your account to report the outage. If you think your mobile number may be out of date, now is a good time to update so this texting function works.
Download the Pacific Power app by going to pacificpower.net/app.
Every home should have an Emergency Outage Kit that includes the following:
- Battery-operated radio and clock
- Extra batteries
- Non-perishable foods
- Manual can opener
- Bottled water
If a power outage occurs, Pacific Power encourages customers to first check their fuses and circuit breakers. If the power failure is not caused inside the home or business, customers should report the outage to Pacific Power at 1-877-508-5088. Customers can track outages via the company’s outage maps page at pacificpower.net/outage
To ease the inconvenience of power outages and assist crews in restoring power, Pacific Power suggests the following tips and safety precautions:
- Stay away from all downed power lines and utility lines. Even if the lines are not sparking, they could be energized and extremely dangerous. Call 911 and report the outage to Pacific Power at 1-877-508-5088.
- Don’t drive over downed power lines.
- Turn on your porch light. After crews complete repairs, they patrol the area of the power failure to see if any lights are still out.
- Check on your neighbors, especially those who may need special assistance. Also, check with others who have electricity, to see if you can visit.
- Keep mobile devices charged so that may be used in an emergency. Before the winter storm arrives, download the Pacific Power app to your smart device so you can have information readily available.
Pacific Power also thanks customers in advance for their patience during power outages. Crews make every effort to keep outage durations to a minimum and to restore power safely and quickly.
Customers and media representatives can also track outages of any size online. Updates will be made as new information becomes available or at least hourly at pacificpower.net/outage.