Strong Low Pressure System Now Approaching Our Region Brining Snow, Rain, And Possible Thunderstorms. NWS issues Winter Weather Advisory.
A strong low pressure system is making it’s way south and will be responsible for expected high elevation snow this evening. Snow is possible above 5,000 – 5,500 feet tonight including areas around Lake Of The Woods where 3-4 inches of wet snow are possible tonight.
Snow levels will come down to between 5000 and 5500 feet, so most roadways will see rain, including Siskiyou Summit. That being said, the pass near Lake of the Woods on Highway 140 will see the potential for some moderate snow overnight. Accumulations of 3 to 4 inches will be possible. Combined with the heat of the roadways, this snow will become slushy and allow for cars to slide more easily on the roadways.
Although snow may start before this, the heaviest snow will occur between 11 PM tonight and 5 AM Sunday morning.
Rain is very likely elsewhere tonight into Sunday. Showers are expected to continue Sunday and thunderstorms are possible Sunday and Monday.
A recent radar image showing rain moving into our area.
Winter Weather Advisory issued May 25 at 2:08PM PDT until May 26 at 8:00AM PDT by NWS Medford
…Heavy Snow expected on Mt. Shasta above 5500 feet with moderate snow expected at Lake of the Woods Pass…
.A low pressure system will slide southward bringing periods of heavy snow showers to the Cascades and across Mt. Shasta. Snow levels will be above 5000 feet, with the highest accumulations occurring above 5500 feet.
…WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 8 PM THIS EVENING TO 8 AM PDT SUNDAY…
* WHAT… Wet snow is expected. Snow accumulations of 3 inches expected.
* WHERE… Highway 140 at Lake of the Woods Pass and nearby mountains above 5500 feet.
* WHEN… From 8 PM this evening to 8 AM PDT Sunday. The heaviest snowfall rates will be from 11 PM to 5 AM.
* ADDITIONAL DETAILS… Plan on slushy and slippery road conditions.
* View the hazard area in detail at https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/mfr/HAZARD
* Slow down and allow extra time to reach your destination.
* Carry tire chains and be prepared for snow covered roads and limited visibilities.
* See https://www.tripcheck.com for latest road conditions.
* A Winter Weather Advisory for snow means that periods of snow will cause travel difficulties.