SALEM – The Keep Oregon Green Association Smokey Bear vehicle license plate will be available for Oregon passenger vehicles starting Aug. 1.
The plate is only for passenger vehicles titled and registered in Oregon. DMV cannot accept or process applications received before Aug. 1.
In addition to regular title, registration and plate manufacturing fees, the Smokey Bear plate has a $40 surcharge due when you first order the plate and at each registration renewal. The surcharge is the same amount for four-year or two-year registration periods.
Customers who purchased a prepaid voucher may submit that with their application in lieu of the surcharge. The voucher may only be used once. The Keep Oregon Green Association was required to sell at least 3,000 vouchers before DMV could start implementation of the Smokey Bear license plate. Surcharge funds will go to the Keep Oregon Green Association. For more information on the association, visit https://keeporegongreen.org.
Custom (vanity) and Amateur Radio Operator (HAM radio) versions will be available on the Smokey Bear plate. DMV cannot reserve specific number-letter configurations for license plates. Also, DMV does not sell “sample” versions of license plates.
People can apply for the plates by mail, at DMV field offices, online or through licensed vehicle dealers when they purchase a car. Customers cannot apply for a Smokey Bear plate online if they are submitting a pre-paid voucher. Customers cannot replace vehicle plates through DEQ emissions testing stations (emissions tests are required only in parts of the Portland and Medford metropolitan areas).
The cost of a set of plates depends upon when and how a vehicle owner applies for a new set. Here are two common scenarios:
- Plates ordered within 120 days before a vehicle’s stickers expire:
- Smokey Bear surcharge: $40 (also paid at every renewal) or a pre-paid voucher
- Plate fee: $24.50 for the pair
- Plate replacement fee: $5
- Registration renewal: $112 (Multnomah County residents add $38; Washington County residents add $60)
- Total without a voucher: $181.50 ($219.50 in Multnomah County; $241.50 in Washington County)
- Total with a pre-paid voucher: $141.50 ($179.50 in Multnomah County; $201.50 in Washington County)
- Plates ordered more than 120 days before a vehicle’s stickers expire:
- Smokey Bear surcharge: $40 (also paid at every two-year renewal) or a pre-paid voucher
- Plate fee: $24.50 for the pair
- Plate replacement fee: $10
- Total without a voucher: $74.50
- Total with a pre-paid voucher: $34.50
People who purchase a new or used vehicle from a licensed dealer may order Smokey Bear plates as part of the car-buying process and provide a pre-paid voucher to the dealer if they have one. Dealers file title and registration applications with DMV on behalf of car buyers. When buying a car, there are charges in addition to those listed above, such as title fees and dealer processing charges.
To order new plates from DMV more than 120 days before a vehicle’s stickers expire, customers need to fill out an Application for Registration, Renewal, Replacement or Transfer of Plates and/or Stickers, Form 268. Customers can get this form at their local DMV office to apply for the plate in person, or they can save a trip to DMV by downloading it at OregonDMV.com and apply online or by mailing in the application and fees.