Sunday March 8th, 2020: Press conference from Oregon officials. 7 new cases were announced and Governor Brown has declared a State of Emergency for the Oregon response.
Today Governor Brown has declared a State of Emergency for Oregon as the response to Coronavirus is ramped up. The declaration makes more resources available to combat the outbreak via emergency powers.
Key points of the press conference:
- Expanded testing from OHA ordered
- Expansion of telemedicine offerings in Oregon
- Additional funding request of $5 million
- 7 new cases have been announced around Oregon today bringing the total to 14
- The 7 new cases are in (1) Marion, (1) Douglas, and (5) Washington County.
- Governor Brown issues emergency declaration
- More labs online around state to help with testing
- High risk patients being urged to avoid large public gatherings, cruise ships, and airplanes.
- Large percentage of people who are infected with Corona have mild symptoms and recover.
- Public urged to continue with regular hygiene practices, stay home when sick, and cover coughs.
Editor Note: The emergency declaration was issued to bring more resources (and money) online to combat the spread of the virus here in Oregon. Many other states have already done this ahead of Oregon.
The latest information is available on our Coronavirus Watch Page here