Exploring 3D AR objects in your house is a great activity for those stuck at home. Here’s how to do it.
Google has a new feature that can bring 3D “augmented reality” animals into your house. If you have a mobile phone with AR or augmented reality capability here is what you do:
Go to google on a browser (we use Chrome) on your AR equipped smartphone. To get started search for “shark” and then click “view in 3D” in the search results. Note: You may not see “view in 3D” as pictured above if the animal is not available in 3D or if your smartphone or device is not AR capable.
To view these animals in 3D you need:
- Android smartphone or tablet: Android 7.0 or higher w/ pre-installed Google Play Store (the Android device must support ARcore. Check with your provider for details)
- iPhone/iPad: iOS 11.0 or higher
Here are some examples of what you can search for and experience in AR:
- Land animals: Tiger, giant panda, leopard, goat, cheetah, pony, brown bear, timber wolf, Shetland pony, python, Arabian horse, raccoon, hedgehog, and deer
- Underwater & wetland animals: Mallard duck, alligator, great white shark, octopus, angler fish, and sea turtle
- Birds: Macaw, emperor penguin, and eagle
- House pets: Pomeranian, golden retriever, labrador, rottweiler, French bulldog, pug, and cat
- More: Chauvet cave, Neil Armstrong, and Apollo 11 command module
Feel free to comment on your favorite object or animal in the comments below.