KLAMATH FALLS, OR – June 30, 2021 When you think of the 4th of July, fireworks are an American tradition. However, fireworks can be dangerous, as you’re, quite literally, playing with fire. The City of Klamath Falls will not be banning fireworks within City limits; however, we are urging caution at this time given the extreme fire danger in our and surrounding areas.

Fireworks can be safe, and they can be fun, we all like to watch fireworks shows. The City of Klamath Falls has specific [City Code, Section 5.304 – Fireworks], that addresses what times and dates fireworks can be discharged and where fireworks can be exploded (no person shall discharge, fire, or cause to be exploded any fireworks within an area or adjacent to an area which poses a fire hazard risk such as a field, vacant lot, or any City Park.). Also please note that any person who causes a fire due to the use of fireworks shall be responsible for the cost of suppressing the fire as well as the property damage resulting from the fire. Please visit: http://www.klamathfalls.city for more information about the City of Klamath Falls City Code regarding Fireworks.

Klamath Falls Police Department will be enforcing firework regulations strictly. While sales of fireworks have been taking place across the country and there is a great deal of excitement to socialize, wild land fuel, drought situations and lack of water access is creating an extremely hazardous situation in the region.


Keep a water source, like a water hose or bucket, on hand in the case of accidents, especially since the environment around us is not the only thing that falls victim to fire. Burns around the time of Independence Day celebrations account for 44% of the 9,100 injuries treated in emergency rooms throughout the month, with the highest rate of fireworks injuries occurring in children ages 10-14 years old. Make sure there is a safe distance between any surrounding buildings or tree lines and where you ignite the firework.

Sparklers are very dangerous. Just because they don’t go “BOOM” doesn’t mean they aren’t very dangerous. Sparklers are basically sticks coated with a mixture to create a fuel-injected reaction, burning metals to produce the fantastic sparks that mesmerize individuals of all ages. Oxidizers produce oxygen to burn the mixture and binders hold it all together, allowing for a progressive burn. Burning at 1,200 degrees Fahrenheit and reaching up to 2,000 degrees Fahrenheit, sparklers account for roughly one-quarter of emergency room fireworks injuries, according to the National Fire Protection Association.

Children should never be allowed to play with or ignite fireworks and should always be supervised when playing with sparklers. Adults should always be present and cognizant of activities and, it goes without saying, should not be under the influence while handling fireworks. Additionally, fireworks that have not fully ignited should never be re-lit. Instead, they should be carefully collected and soaked in a bucket of water over night.

At the end of the day, it’s really not worth your own safety. It’s not worth someone else’s safety or someone else’s property.