Fourteen student athletes – seven from Henley High School and seven from Mazama High School – have signed to play at the collegiate level next year. The athletes, coaches, and families gathered at the schools this week for a Signing Day celebration.
Sports represented include basketball, baseball, football, soccer, volleyball, beach volleyball, cheer, cross country, track and field, and shotgun sports.
The students will represent Klamath County throughout Oregon and as far as Arizona, Nebraska, and the United Kingdom.
“I think it’s important to honor these student athletes for the commitment they’ve made over the years to learn and exceed at their sport,” said Luke Hammond, athletic director at Henley High School. “To be rewarded and to be able to continue to play at the next level is a testament to their training and to the support of their coaches and families.”
Mazama athletic director Vic Lease agreed. “Having watched them grow up, sending these Vikings on to compete is exciting,” he said. “It’s pretty exceptional to have student athletes who represent so many different sports.”
Following are the student athletes and their plans for the 2023-24 school year:
- Kendal Hadwick (Henley), beach volleyball, Southern Oregon University, Ashland. Undecided major
- Layla Chavez (Henley), beach volleyball, Southern Oregon University, Ashland. Undecided major.
- Kenzie Carpenter (Henley), volleyball and track (shot put, javelin), Umpqua Community College,Roseburg. Plans to study kinesiology to be a physical therapist.
- Tatiana Briones (Henley), cheer, Linfield University, McMinnville. Plans to study bio healthsciences to be a dentist.
- Holly Parker (Henley), basketball, Pacific University, Forest Grove. Plans to study kinesiology to be a physical therapist.
- Tanner Hallmark (Henley), shotgun sports, Hastings College, Hastings, Nebraska. Plans to studywildlife biology and criminology to be a game warden.
- Owen Cheyne (Henley), baseball, Lane Community College.
- Trevor Anderson (Mazama), football, Linfield University, McMinnville. Plans to study exercise science to be a physical therapist
- Kaylea Rietdyk (Mazama), volleyball, Mt. Hood Community College, Gresham. Undecidedmajor.
- Hannah Darrah (Mazama), soccer, Northumbria University, New Castle upon Tyne, United Kingdom. Plans to study sports, exercise, and nutrition.
- Lottie Preston (Mazama), soccer, Lane Community College, Eugene. Plans to study dentalhygiene.
- Bryce Worrell (Mazama), cross country, track and field (1500, 800), Oregon Tech. Plans to studyenvironmental science and civil engineering.
- Tyler Aguiar (Mazama), football, Salt River Junior College, Scottsdale, Arizona. Undecided.
- Nathan Baker (Mazama), baseball, College of the Siskiyous, Weed, Calif. Plans to study business.