As allowed by the Klamath County Air Quality Ordinance, the 2020 Fall Open Burn Window within the Klamath County Air Quality Zone will start on Saturday, November 7, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. and will end Sunday, November 22, 2020 at 5:00 pm.
Public Health requirements for clean air are:
- The Air Quality Conditions Forecast must be “GREEN”. Check the daily conditions forecast by calling
- Only residential yard waste, such as tree limbs, brush, and leaves may be burned.
- All burning must occur between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.
- No trash, plastic, rubber, tar, petroleum products, treated or painted wood may be burned.
- The use of Burn Barrels is prohibited.
- The burning of commercial, construction, demolition or industrial waste is not included in this burn window. Burning for these purposes requires a special permit from the Oregon Department of Environmental Quality; contact Frank Messina at the DEQ office in Bend at (541) 633-2016.
- Agricultural burning inside the Air Quality Zone is prohibited without a certificate of variance issued by Klamath County Public Health.
Fire District requirements for public safety are:
1. The wind must be between 4 to 10 mph. For wind speed call (541) 883-8127.
2. There must be a pressurized water hose at the fire site at all times.
3. A responsible adult must be present at the fire from the first flame until the fire is extinguished.
4. The burn pile shall be no larger than 6 feet in diameter and 4 feet high.
5. There must be a six-foot clear area surrounding the base of the pile and the pile must be at least 20 feet from combustible fences and buildings.
6. The person conducting any burning is responsible for damage and the cost of an out of control burn as well as traffic problems and other hazards caused by the smoke.
The Open Burn Window may be cancelled at any time due to Air Quality or Fire Hazard conditions.
Check with your local Fire District or the City of Klamath Falls (inside the city limits) for additional restrictions.
Klamath County Fire District #1 885-2056 Klamath County Fire District 4 884-1670
Klamath County Environmental Health 883-1122 City of Klamath Falls Code Enforcement 883-5358