The Bootleg Fire continues to burn on the Fremont-Winema National Forest and private lands north of the towns of Sprague River and Beatty. Although the Red Flag Warning is no longer in effect, weather conditions overnight and through today continue to allow for extreme fire behavior. Additional resources have been ordered and continue to arrive.
Firefighters continued their efforts to identify defensible locations for effective fire breaks and to safely engage the fire. Crews were successful at limiting the spread along the southern edge. However, during the day and into the evening, wind-driven extreme fire behavior resulted in active fire growth to the east. Officials are in the process of assessing the impacts of yesterday’s fire spread.
In addition to on-going daytime operations, more crews are being assigned to night shift when conditions are more favorable for effective firefighting. As part of the unified command and in addition to the wildland firefighting efforts underway, the Office of the Oregon State Fire Marshal’s Green Incident Management Team remains on scene with 3 task forces focused on structural triage and, when possible, creating defensible space around structures on both day and night shift. Today, 2 more structural strike teams from California and an Oregon task force have arrived, with additional resources on order.
At the recommendation of the Bootleg Fire Incident Commander, following are the current evacuation levels issued by Klamath County Emergency Management:
Level 3 (Go) – Leave immediately
- (NEW) North of the town of Beatty. North end of Godawa Springs Road north of the rock quarry.
- Near the town of Sprague River. Upper Tableland area north of Oregon Pines Road.
- North of the town of Beatty. Sycan Estates area.
Level 2 (Get Set) – Be ready to leave at a moment’s notice
- North of the town of Beatty. The area north of Highway 140, on both sides of Godowa Springs Road, south of the rock quarry.
- North of the town of Sprague River. Klamath Forest Estates/Moccasin Hills area.
Klamath County Fairgrounds (in Klamath Falls), South 6th Street entrance only.
- 11 a.m. – Sprague River Community Center
- 7 p.m. – Chiloquin Community Center
- Attend the meetings in person or watch the 7 p.m. meeting on Facebook Live on SCOFMP Fire Info, Northwest Team 10 and FremontWinema National Forest Facebook pages.
The Fremont-Winema National Forest is closed in the area of the fire. See maps and the Emergency Fire Closure Order 06-02-21-03 at http://www.fs.usda.gov/alerts/Fremont-winema/alerts-notices or on Inciweb.
Watch for increased fire equipment traffic on area roads and highways, particularly in the Chiloquin area – use caution and drive defensively!