Bonanza, OR – Overnight, firefighters caught and quelled fire activity within the fire’s perimeter along the southeast fireline. Due to warmer and drier weather, smoldering materials in the thick duff layers around trees store heat into the evenings and sometimes reignite. To mitigate this, firefighters use handheld and aerial heat-sensing infrared cameras to detect hot spots.
Today, crews will continue to improve lines, mop-up into the interior, reassess structures and clear obstacles for utility workers. Crews also patrol the fireline regularly and monitor the interior and exterior of the fire to ensure it remains contained during mop-up operations.
Information boards: Information boards can be found at the following locations:
• Bonanza General Store – 31919 OR-70 Bonanza, OR 97623
• Bonanza Post Office – 2899 Market Street Bonanza, OR 97623
• Cactus J Restaurant – 31771 Oregon 70’Bonanza, OR 97623
• Dairy Diner – 22121 Hwy 140 Dairy, OR 97625
• Fire Camp – 25844 Petersteiner Rd. Bonanza, OR 97623
• Longhorn Saloon & Restaurant – 2857 Hwy 70, Market St. Bonanza, OR 97623
• Red Cross Evacuation Shelter 31610 Mission St., Bonanza, OR 97623
Information boards contain daily updates and current maps.
Additional updates can be found at: https://www.facebook.com/goldenfire2023/.
Weather: Today’s weather will generate potential for active fire behavior. Wind and low relative humidity (RH) will produce critical fire weather over the fire area. High temps, low RH, and windy afternoon conditions will persist for the next several days. Winds will continue to increase in speed over the next few days.
Evacuations: Evacuation orders remain in place, but levels have decreased.
American Red Cross and Klamath County Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) have established an evacuation shelter at: Bonanza School, 31601 Mission Street, Bonanza, OR 97623. For the latest evacuation information call the Klamath County hotline (541) 205-9730. To sign up for Klamath County alerts, visit http://